Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Eggplant Parmesan

I made an Eggplant Parmasan last week using a recipe that I got from the Italian cooking school. I was so pleased with the results. It was better than I expected. I should have known that it would be good since I used all fresh local ingredients. The only problem I ran into was trying to convert the measurements. The recipe calls for 30 DL (deciliter) of olive oil. I figured wrong and added way too much olive oil to my tomato sauce, but it didn't alter the taste any.  Because it was so oily my pics didn't turn out good.

Eggplant Parmesan
Number of servings, 8
Eggplant 1kg (2.2 lb or 1 large eggplant)
Peanut oil 1 liter (approx. 4 cups)
Tomato Pulp 700 gr (3 cups)
chopped fresh basil 50 gr (3.5 T.)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 30 DL (1/3 cup)
Grated Mozzarella 500 gr (2 cups) I used about 1 ½ cups and had some leftover
Basil bloom
Grated Parmesan cheese 200 gr (¾ cup)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut the eggplant into slices sprinkle with a pinch of salt and let drain for an hour. Pat dry, flour, and fry slices in peanut oil at 350 degrees. Drain well on paper towel.

Meanwhile, peel tomatoes. Simmer the olive oil, finely chopped onion, tomato pulp, basil, salt and pepper.

In a bowl combine Mozzarella (I used buffalo mozzarella that is packed in water. Discard water and grate) and Parmesan.

Arrange in a baking dish layering eggplant, tomato sauce, and cheese repeat and garnish with basil bloom. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes serve hot.



No comments:

Post a Comment