Friday, October 8, 2010

Eggs Florentine Casserole ~ Tastes Like Christmas



Is there a food that you associate with Christmas? You know what I mean. Whenever you eat a particular cookie or candy recipe, your grandmother's special cake, or your Aunt Trudy's Peanut Brittle it reminds you of Christmas. A couple of weeks ago my sister asked me for the recipe for this Egg Florentine Casserole. I had just been thinking about it when she asked me for it. So I decided, that was a sign that I needed to make it and share it with you too! I realized when I took the first bite that it tasted like Christmas! I have been making this breakfast casserole recipe every Christmas morning for about the past 7 years. I probably haven't made it since last Christmas and was surprised how it triggered Christmas memories.


Traditions are so important. It gives children a sense of belonging and security. It is something they can pass down to their families or simply tell their children about. Maybe you don't have children or your children are grown. Perhaps you live alone. Whatever your current life situation, I would encourage you to continue or even start Christmas traditions. It makes the holidays really special. I know it is early to be talking about Christmas, but it will be here before we know it. Besides, it is never too early to plan.

I would love to hear about your Christmas breakfast traditions! Is there a particular food that you serve on Christmas morning? Please share!


Eggs Florentine Casserole
 Florentine usually means that the recipe includes spinach.





10-oz package frozen chopped spinach
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1 pound ground pork sausage
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
6 green onions (about a cup), chopped
2 T butter, melted
12 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups whipping cream
1 cup shredded swiss cheese
1/4 tsp paprika

Cook spinach according to pkg directions, drain well. Sprinkle cheddar cheese in bottom of lightly greased 9x13 baking dish, spread spinach over cheese. Brown, crumble, and drain sausage; spread over spinach.

Saute mushrooms and green onions in butter until tender; spread over sausage.
Combine eggs and whipping cream, beating with wire whisk until blended. Pour egg mixture of vegetable mixture. Top with cheese and sprinkle with paprika .

Bake uncovered at 350 for 40 minutes or until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment