Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Mississippi Mud Cake Lightened





Today I'm going back to my roots, and I am not referring to my natural hair color.  I am talking about where I grew up.  I was born and raised in Mississippi.  Actually, I was born in Memphis, Tennessee but grew up just a stone's throw away in northern Mississippi.  I realize there are many stereotypes about Mississippi, but I wasn't raised in the country or on a farm.  We do wear shoes and must of us have all our teeth.  There are other stereotypes about Mississippi that are true like most people are friendly and hospitable, and we enjoy really great food.  I personally think the South has the best food culture in the country.  Of course, I realize I could be a little biased. 

Mississippi Mud Cake is a traditional Southern dish named after the mud from the banks of the Mississippi River.  It consists of chocolate cake topped with gooey marshmallows, decadent chocolate icing, and often pecans or walnuts.  It is believed that this dish was created by home cooks after World War II because it was made of simple ingredients that could be found at any supermarket and did not require any special cooking tools.  Sounds like a perfect everyday cooking recipe!

It is no secret that I love Southern Living recipes.  This recipe comes from the August 2007 issue.  I don't keep magazines for years, but I do like to keep recipes that look good, but sometimes it takes me a while before I actually make them. 

This cake was good, but a little dry and pretty fattening too.  So I decided to bake it again using the low fat version of a chocolate box cake mix.  It was really moist and much lower in fat and calories than the original.  Also, the cake mix is so much more convenient.  I hope you enjoy this Mississippi delight!


Buon Appetito ya'll!



Mississippi Mud Cake ~ Lightened
source: adapted from Southern Living
yields: 15 servings
prep: 15 minutes
bake: 40 minutes
calories: 441
fat: 16


  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • Devil's food cake or chocolate box cake mix (plus ingredients required on box)
  • (10.5-oz.) bag miniature marshmallows

  • 1. Place pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet.
  • 2. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted.
  • 3. Mix box cake mix according to directions. Pour in a 9 x 13 inch pan. 
  • 4. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and sprinkle evenly with miniature marshmallows; bake 8 to 10 more minutes or until golden brown. Drizzle warm cake with Chocolate Frosting*, and sprinkle evenly with toasted pecans.
*Chocolate Frosting
yields: 2 cups
prep: 10 minutes
cook: 5 minutes

1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/3 cup milk
 1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Stir together first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat until butter is melted. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until slightly thickened; remove from heat. Beat in powdered sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until smooth. 


No comments:

Post a Comment