Friday, October 5, 2012

Freezer Friendly Bacon-Wrapped Chicken






This is one of my favorite go-to freezer friendly dishes.  These moist Bacon-Wrapped Chicken breasts are stuffed with onion and chive cream cheese then wrapped in bacon.  My family always gobbles them up.

This recipe reminds me of the first time we invited an Italian family (Davide and Ester and their two kids) over for lunch after church.  My older son, Graham, had gotten to know Davide through his involvement in the youth group.  They seemed like such a sweet family, and we really wanted to get to know them better.

Davide and Ester speak very good English, but sometimes communication could still be a little challenging, but I guess that can be true even when both parties speak English as their first language.  At the time, we all attended chapel services on base.  The chapel offered two Sunday morning services.  We typically attended the earlier service, and Davide and Ester attended the later service.  When I invited them for lunch I explained that we would attend the early service, but let them know if they wanted to attend the late service they could meet us at the house.  Davide said they would attend both services and meet us after church; at least that is what I thought he said.  Attending two Sunday morning services didn't make a lot of sense to me, but who am I to judge, and besides it would give me enough time to have lunch ready.  Much to my surprise they met up with us after the early service and were ready to go.

Typically when entertaining I like to get everything ready before the guests arrive so that I can relax and enjoy my guests.  I definitely don't like to put my guests to work especially the first time I have them over.  However, I had lots to do before we could eat so I reluctantly asked Ester to help prepare the Bacon-Wrapped Chicken.  We had a great time in the kitchen together, and she loved learning to cook American style.  I think we had more fun cooking than we would have had just sitting and talking.

We became very good friends during our time in Italy.  At our going away party Ester was wearing a lovely turquoise necklace, which is one of my favorite colors.  I told her that I thought it was really cute.  As she was getting ready to leave she insisted that I have her necklace.  I was so touched by her thoughtfulness, but told her that I could not take her necklace.  Ester is sweet but stubborn, and she wouldn't hear of it.  After some persuasion, I accepted the gift. I love it.  Every time I look at it or wear it I think of sweet Ester.  She will always be in my heart regardless of how many miles or years separate us.

Freezer Friendly Bacon-Wrapped Chicken
yields: 12 servings


12 boneless skinless chicken breasts halves
2 cartons (8 ounces each) whipped cream cheese with onion and chives
2 Tbsp butter (I typically leave out the butter.)
Salt to taste
12 bacon strips 

  1. Flatten chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness. 
  2. Spread 3 Tbsp cream cheese over each. 


  1. Dot with butter and sprinkle with salt; roll up. 
  2. Wrap each with a bacon stip. 
  3. Place seam side down, in a greased pan. 

  1. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until juices run clear. 
  2. Broil 6 inches from the heat for 5 minutes or until bacon is crisp. 


Freeze these uncooked. 


1 comment:

  1. Mamma mia! My feelings...you left a few month ago and Michaela is leaving tomorrow, I just said bye to her.. a lot of crying...
    I will never forget that day!! You were so calm and you handle the situations and you cooked in an excellent way!!!
    The food was very good that day, thank you again my precious friend. I hope one day I can visit you and spend more time in the kitchen with you :-)
    Ciao
    Ester

    ReplyDelete