Friday, October 28, 2011

Tried and True Pot Roast

I am trying something different with this blog post and am not including a picture. Most everyone knows what a pot roast looks like and since they really don't photograph well anyway I thought I would just share a couple of really good recipes and forego the pic.

I don't know about other parts of the country, but when I was growing up in the South pot roast was the typical Sunday afternoon meal. It was an easy meal to prepare. My mom would let the roast cook along with some potatoes, carrots, and onions either in the oven or in the Crockpot while we were at church. Then we would arrive home to a delicious home cooked meal. Add a salad and rolls and you have a balanced meal.

My guys love meat and especially roast. What is it with men and meat? Maybe it goes back to the hunter gather thing where the guys went out hunted and killed something to bring home for dinner. That must be why most men I know love meat and don't consider they have eaten a meal unless there is meat included.

For years I was confused about what cut of meat to buy when cooking a roast. I found this info on a food blog and thought I would share.

What cut of meat should I buy for my roast beef?


A: Every cut varies in flavor and tenderness. Rib roasts and loins are naturally tender and flavorful. Chuck roasts are juicy due to their good marbling, but require lower, slower cooking to get tender. Rump and round roasts are very lean and if thinly sliced can make excellent sandwiches, but they can be tough. Only the top grades of round and rump have enough fat to roast well; many do better if braised, pot roasted or stewed. For a round roast, you want top round. Eye of the round LOOKS like a good roast, but is tough and needs moist heat; bottom round is also pretty chewy when roasted.

I have always had good luck with all cuts of roasts as long as the meat is cooked long enough to make it tender.

Here are a couple of our favorite roast recipes.

Family Favorite Pot Roast

2 lb. roast

1 pkg. Lipton beefy onion soup mix

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1/2 cup water

Mix soups and water; pour over beef. Cook at 300 for four hours or in Crockpot on low for7-9 hours. Add potatoes, carrots, and onions halfway through cooking time.

This is a recipe I recently discovered from www.food.com

To Die for Crock Pot Roast

1 (4-5 lb) beef roast, any kind

1 pkg. brown gravy mix

1 pkg. Italian salad dressing mix

1 pkg. Ranch dressing mix

1/2 cup water

Place pot roast in Crockpot. Mix the dried mixes together in a bowl and sprinkle over the roast. Pour the water around the roast. Cook on low for 7-9 hours.


Buon Appetito!



2 comments: