Saturday, September 11, 2010

Blueberry Streusel Muffins


I do not like buying store bought muffins. Just about everytime I take my son Collin to the grocery store he begs me for Hostess miniblueberry muffins. I can not bring myself to buy them. Number one, they are expensive and number two, they contain way too many preservatives as well as lots of sugar and fat. By baking muffins from scratch, I know exactly what is in them, and they are alot cheaper. Not to mention, way more delicious.

These are the best blueberry muffins I have ever had! I think the grated lemon rind is what makes these muffins so good. Although, I have made them several times without the rind simply because I didn't have any lemons, and they were still delicious. When possible, I use fresh blueberries. Using frozen blueberries will turn the batter blue. Here in Italy I haven't seen fresh blueberries so I unfortunately am forced to use frozen. You can freeze leftover muffins. When ready to eat simply let them thaw, or warm them in the microwave for a quick breakfast or snack.

Blueberry Streusel Muffins
from: The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook

Prep: 14 minutes Cook: 18 minutes
A sugary streusel caps these berry-filled breakfast muffins.

1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 ¾ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp. salt
½ cup sugar
2 tsp. grated lemon rind
1 large egg, lightly beaten
¾ cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed and drained*
1 T. all purpose flour
1 T. sugar

¼ cup sugar
2 ½ T. all purpose flour
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 ½ T. butter or margarine

• Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine egg, milk, and oil; stir well. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.

• Combine blueberries, 1 T. flour, and 1 T. sugar, tossing gently to coat. Fold blueberry mixture into batter. Spoon batter into greased muffin pans, filling two- thirds full.

• Combine ¼ cup sugar, 2 ½ T. flour, and cinnamon; cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumble. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 400° for 18 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans immediately. Yield: 1 dozen.

*If using frozen blueberries, thaw and drain them, and pat dry with paper towels. This will prevent discoloration of batter.

Per muffin: Calories 219, Fat 8.9g

No comments:

Post a Comment