Monday, May 14, 2012

Coffee Angel Food Cake


I found this recipe when looking for a dessert to take to a "healthy" themed potluck.  I could have taken the usually healthy foods like salads, fruit, or baked chicken, but I really wanted to find a yummy dessert.  When I found this recipe I couldn't wait to try it since coffee and angel food cake are two of my favorite foods.

My sophomore year of high school I went on a diet to lose 25 pounds.  Angel food cake and frozen yogurt (not together) became my go-to desserts.  Angel food cake is fat free and much lower in calories than regular cake so I could eat as much as I wanted without feeling guilty.  I ate A LOT of angel food cake back in the day.  Now I am much more aware of the importance of portion control, because too much of a good thing can be bad as well.  Ya know?

This cake was so good, but of course anything with coffee is a winner in my recipe book!!



Coffee Angel Food Cake

source: Cooking Light
Yield: 12 servings

 

Ingredients 

  • 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) box angel food cake mix
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 6 tablespoons stick margarine, softened
  • 1 (1-pound) box powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons skim milk

Preparation

  1. Combine 1 tablespoon coffee granules and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl; stir well, and set aside.
  2. Prepare angel food cake batter according to package directions. Fold in coffee mixture and extracts. Spoon batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube or bundt pan, spreading evenly. Break large air pockets by cutting through batter with a knife. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan, and let cool for 40 minutes. Loosen cake from sides of pan, using a narrow metal spatula. Invert cake onto a serving plate; set aside.
  3. Combine 2 tablespoons coffee granules and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl; stir well, and set aside.
  4. Cream margarine at high speed of a mixer. Add coffee mixture; beat well. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at medium speed until well-blended. Add milk; beat well. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.
per serving
Calories: 292
Fat: 5.8g

Buon Appetito!



No comments:

Post a Comment