Monday, April 2, 2012

Coconutty Orange Salad



Last week I baked some delicious $100,000 Cinnamon Rolls. The recipe calls for orange zest which left me with four zested oranges. I hate to waste food and try to either eat as leftovers, freeze, or use in another dish. I started thinking about what I could do with those oranges. In Sicily, they have an amazing orange salad that consists of blood oranges, green onion, and olive oil. I know it might not sound too appealing, but I can assure you it is wonderful. These simple ingredients go perfectly together. I didn't have any green onions but the thought of the Sicilian blood orange salad gave me inspiration to create a different type of orange salad.

Having just made the cinnamon rolls, I had some leftover pecans. I found some shredded coconut and golden raisins in the pantry and added them to the oranges. I drizzled some honey on top and sprinkled with cinnamon then stirred well. I was very pleased with the results and really enjoyed the light, tropical flavor the coconut added. My hubby really enjoyed it too, which is always a good sign. Topped with whipped cream or light cool whip this Coconutty Orange Salad would make a nice figure friendly dessert.




Coconutty Orange Salad
yield: 4 servings

4 medium oranges
1/4 cup golden raisins (or regular)
1/4 cup shredded coconut
2 shakes of cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon of honey

Mix ingredients together. It can be eaten immediately or allowed to chill then eaten.



Buon Appetito!


No comments:

Post a Comment