Saturday, February 11, 2012

Black Forest Trifle

Today's post is short and sweet. I am short and the recipe is sweet, ha-ha! Wait! Don't go! I know that was a bad joke. This trifle dessert is worth sticking around for, I promise.

I just love a trifle dessert. They are typically super easy to make and look so pretty. Served in individual glass compotes or wine glasses, this Black Forest Trifle would make a great Valentine's treat for the romantic dinner that I know you are planning for your sweetheart. It makes a lot so you could simply half the recipe if making it just for two.
glass compote


The "made from scratch" pudding layer is really delectable, and worth the extra time it takes to make. Trust me! I couldn't quit eating it. I have tasted "made from scratch" pudding that I didn't think was worth the time and effort, but this pudding is way better than instant.

             
Black Forest Trifle
Recipe Source: Prime Meridian

Serving Size  : 8     



  4 1/2  cups milk, divided
  3- 1 ounce squares unsweetened chocolate
  1/3  cup cornstarch
  1/2  cup sugar
  1/4  tsp  salt
  2 tsp  vanilla
  2 cups cookie crumbs (vanilla wafers, shortbread, or chocolate chip)
  1 can cherry pie filling


1. In a heavy saucepan, combine 4 cups milk and chocolate. Cook over
moderate heat until bubbles form on milk around edges of pan. Remove from
heat. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, sugar, salt, and 1/2
cup milk. Whisk until well moistened and smooth. Gradually add cornstarch
mixture to hot milk mixture stirring constantly. Return to moderately high
heat, stirring until mixture begins to boil. Boil 1 minute while continuing
to stir. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.


2. Spoon 1/3 (approximately 1 1/3 cup) mixture into a 2-quart soufflé dish
or trifle bowl. Top with 1/3 (2/3 cup) cookie crumbs. Set Aside 1/2 cup pie
filing. Gently spoon half of remaining filling onto crumb layer. Repeat
layering with another 1/3 chocolate mixture, 1/3 crumbs, remaining pie
filling and remaining chocolate mixture. Spoon remaining crumbs around top
edge of bowl to form a border. Place reserved pie filling in center.






3. Refrigerate covered 5 to 6 hours or until pudding is well chilled.

I know the pics are not great. Obviously I took them and not my hubby :)

Buon Appetito!



No comments:

Post a Comment